Our vision is to enable people to transform education towards developing holistic learners, making use of natural learner attributes to be happy and successful in the constructed and natural worlds both now and in an unknown future. To ensure all young people have the opportunities to pursue active wisdom to bring positive change to themselves and the communities and environments they are connected to.
Our mission is to help communities and individuals create the opportunities and conditions for the growth of holistic learners by enabling young people to develop their natural learner attributes through whatever curriculum they find themselves in. We strive to help learning communities transform schools by providing processes that take all members of the school community towards an approach to education that is based in shared human attributes and underpinned by their own cultural perspectives.
- We aim to help all young people become the best holistic learners they can be.
- We aim to empower and enable all community members to develop effective learning communities within which young people have the maximum opportunities to develop the attributes of holistic learners and to be able to develop themselves as such as soon as they can.
- We aim to transform education such that the role of educators is relevant, inspiring, and meaningful again.
- We aim to empower all young people to be able to identify and take action towards bringing positive change, through active wisdom, to themselves, and to the communities and environments in which they exist.
- We aim to enable the transformation of education through the strengths of the cultural perspectives of the communities we serve.
- We create adaptable processes that take schools through the various stages of becoming learning communities of holistic learners.
- We help communities discover the attributes that they need to develop from the secure base of shared human values and through the strengths of their own cultural perspectives.
- Our processes and other work all focus on changing the approach to education and therefore support improvement within any educational system.
- We help school leaders facilitate their community towards high levels of trust, effective communication and collaboration in which a truly shared vision can be worked towards in which professional capital and resourcefulness are enhanced.
- We help teachers coach young people towards becoming self-developing holistic learners through the context of their subjects.
- We help young people transition from being dependent students of school to being self-developing learners of life. Which also means success at school.
- We help parents support their young ones in their development as holistic learners and their schools in becoming learning organisations.
We use the term 'learner' rather than 'student' to distinguish between those who only study for school and those who learn for life. The 'student' is a subset of 'real' or holistic learners. The holistic learner is adaptable and good at school but is also developing all those attributes - habits, skills and dispositions that will ensure active wisdom from their cultural and intercultural perspectives.
We consider the attributes of great holistic learners to be the inherent dispositions all humans have to learn. Also among the attributes are those dispositions, skills, and habits developed in the natural and constructed environments that young people are born into. There have been many lists made of learner attributes. DRL has asked learners, educators, and parents in many different countries what they believe the attributes are that young people need to be happy and successful and they have, in their different ways, expressed the same attributes - collaboration, curiosity, innovation, empathy, communication skills, thinking skills, the dispositions of courage, risk-taking, heart-mindedness, open-mindedness, growth-mindedness, anti-fragility, and being proactive, principled, erudite and balanced in one's development and approach. Read more about attributes.
We need wisdom but not just the sort that offers advice. We need wise action and so holistic learners are coached towards developing the disposition to take wise, considered action.